Friday, July 29, 2005

Sleep Eludes Me

It is 3:30 in the morning...No coffee yet, I might be able to get more sleep in...And believe me, I will try. Some mornings I would just turn on the coffee and forget it. Today, I think I may continue on for a couple of hours of dreamland.

Good thing I didn't turn on the pot of coffee yesterday. I thought it was four in the morning and it was a half hour before I realized it was 1:30. For somebody who has to get up and go to work, this would be a windfall. For somebody like me, who wonders if I will be able to go back to sleep, it is decision time..Coffee and forget it, or no coffee and try again...I hate lying there trying to go back to sleep...Too many things start popping in my head....Things to do, things not done, worrying.

Yesterday was one of those days when all I wanted was an hour nap...I took my daughter and her friend to get cake mix. I waited in the car so my daughter's friend could buy what she needed to make her mother a cake. Over thirty minutes in the car. She started telling me what the rags had to say about so and so...I told her I didn't want to hear about that and I knew the cake isle was nowhere near the rags! My daughter said, She has a short attention span...This I know. But some manners are in order here. I would never let my girls do that to somebody's mother. Then back to our house for cake pans...Back to her house so the girls could make FOUR boxes of cake. She couldn't get the concept of splitting the box into two pans for layer cake....

I called at 12:30 on my way to pick up my other daughter from rehearsal...She puts me on hold and then asks if she can call me back. I said, "NO, you may not call me back. Is she ready or not? They go back and forth...5:00, no 3:00. They decided on 3:30.

On the way home from rehearsal we see my hubby outside his office. He starts talking to us, I could not hear and was able to turn into the parking structure thru the clusterfuck of traffic! He asked if there was anything to eat up at the house...I dunno...He says, I am coming up for a fruit salad....

I rant to my daughter and her friend about my other daughter's friend. Both sat quietly and said nothing. I realized they didn't want to hear it. I thought they needed to hear what rude really is! My daughter says, "I would never ask my friend's mother to do that, let alone for that long, then go back to the house for pans." Well then, I have done my job!

Hubby comes up for lunch. Meanwhile, my daughter was trying to get in touch with her friend who had invited her over. No luck...Could happen at any moment though. Hubster goes back to the office, I tell my daughter, I am taking a NAP! Tell your sister, I will be there at 4:00. The phone rings four times in the hour I was trying to nap! "How do we make frosting?"

When I picked up my daughter, she got an earful....About waiting on her friend, waiting for them to call me for a ride, when they felt like it, then calling when they knew in the morning how much I needed a quick nap, I finally get one and they keep calling anyhow...

I think yesterday was the day of Nancy's Rant...Almost like a PMS day.

Then contending with tourists who want to stop at crosswalks, with nobody in them, nor a stop sign. Or stopping at a yield sign...Gotta merge people, get moving....Last day of workshop and rehearsal in the canyon, next to the Sawdust festival, today! Only down to the high school. Out of tourist traffic, before town, starting next week. In the theatre where Suessical will be held, opening on the sixth...Then to Leisure World the next weekend...Only two days of fighting traffic to get there. UGH...All in the name of love!

Okay, enough of that crap....I am going back to sleep. I hope. Today is going to be a great day...I am thinking positive thoughts now...Can you hear me???

10 comments:

Cindy said...

I hate waking up and laying there waiting and hoping to fall back to sleep. When my eyes pop open I get up, that's all there is to it.

It's funny, with our 3 hour time difference, I always flip out when you are still up when I get up. I enjoy our back and forth sessions in the morning!

TheMommason said...

Hey Fancy Nancy

Sorry the kids are being little inconsiderate monsters.

And sorry you are having such a hard time sleeping! I had that for a while on the old meds would get maybe 2 hours sleep and then I would have to go to work and come home for Mom work and be so exhusted and then not be able to go to sleep again...

Try taking a benidril at night might help I found some of my waking up even after I switched to the meds I am doing good on was allergies.

Love and hugs sugar pie and hope you get some rest!

(Oh we are hireing the handicapped literaly I just found out WORC is the currant cleaning crew so now I feel guilty for being all pissed off about my stupid cups)

Jaded said...

I also use Benadryl when i can't sleep. I take 2 of them, and it usually does the trick. A few years back, I had a bad bout of insomnia. After about 3 months of very littl sleep, I went to my doctor in tears. She prescribed me a month's worth of Ambien. She said sometimes you have to just break the cycle, and get rid of the anxiety involved with trying to fall asleep. That really did the trick. I only used it for 2 or 3 weeks, and i was back to sleeping again.

Ok, was gonna say something about the kids, but Jadette just came in and asked for a bath. Gotta run..

Kate said...

Insomnia sucks, I have it too. Being a mom is a hard job, esp with multiple kids, all on different schedules.

Being the taxicab for all of them in heavy traffic must be annoying. But just think, in a few years, they will be driving themselves! Then you can lie awake worrying about that. Something to look forward to! LOL.

Nancy said...

Cindy, I have usually had an hour or two of sleep when we have our 3am email sessions. Or earlier! I enjoy them too! Nice quiet time! LOL

Pong, I cannot believe that about the cups...Our grocery stores hire physically and mentally challenged people to do the bagging. Yikes on the bitch session though! OOPS. And the Russian tapes. I mentioned them to the hub and he says, We have Russian tapes? I said, "YOU bought them." Not to mean we won't selll them...LOL

Jaded, I took Ambien for a very long time. When I got to needing more than two pills, I told my doctor, I didn't want to take them anymore. I never took more than two, but they weren't working anymore. I took Trazodone for a very long time. It is an antidepressant. It worked like a charm for a long time and is non addictive, but when the panic attacks got worse, I couldn't take it anymore. It would trigger an attack as I was feeling woozy...Stopped those too. Perhaps I should try Benedryl....

Kate, Thanks so much for the mental picture of my girls driving! UGH! LOL...I don't think my almost 14 year old will be quick to get her license...She just doesn't do the normal age things. She is a go against the grain kid. BTW, the yarn is probably acrylic. There may be some wool too, I will have to check. My sister in law, Phoebe, had the same reaction. She was just here and is back in NY! LOL

Puffer said...

I have been functioning on not very much sleep so I can sympathize!
I hope you get some sleep
Thanks for your prayers
Christine

BonnyT said...

Good thing you have stranger-friends in the Eastern Time Zone up so you can chat with them, eh? ;)

Rant away, my friend...

Heidi said...

I'm trying to figure out your insomnia issues...What do u eat at night?..Any caffeine related food/drink?...Maybe stress, lots on your mind..I hope you can get a good nights sleep soon.

Karen said...

stress always keeps me awake.
I swear if I actually do fall asleep then I wake up with an anxiety attack brought on from the heavy stress !
I hate that little circle !
oh well, I may try the benedryl too. sounds like a winner.
take care,
Karen

Anne said...

insomnia is becoming frighteningly common, it seems.
for me, it's been ever since "everything changed" almost 4 years ago.(no, not menopause--yet!)
excedrin p.m. helps me when i need it. i have also found that a good walk helps me some.
hope you got some rest today.