Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Comfort Food and Memorabilia

I love to fish. I have always loved to fish. I don't fish very often anymore. I miss it....
When we were kids we would take the boat out and catch baskets of fish. Without a fish finder, mind you. I would catch the most fish, always. And with all brothers, dad, male cousins and uncles, it rocked. I would drop my line in the water and catch fish so fast that everybody would start getting closer and closer to me. I would leave and go to a unoccupied area of the boat. I would do it again. They would follow!

We used to catch so many fish it was insane. But, we ate the fish too. We didn't have a lot of money so fish was a good way to feed our family. We would set up an assembly line at the fish cleaning site and get them cleaned in record time. We would feed the whole bunch of us at the lake and we would always freeze fish when we had too many.
One great thing about fishing is it gets hot fast, once the sun comes up and it is okay to start drinking beer. As long as I wasn't driving! I can't think of anything more relaxing to me than fishing!

I also love okra. Not nuke and slide down you throat okra. Gross. But the kind placed in corn meal and fried. Yes, fried.
We would buy ten pounds at a roadside vegetable and fruit stand. My parents, brothers and I would again set up an assembly line and clean, cut and put the okra into bags with cornmeal. We froze it and had it all the time.

When David and I got married, he knew how much I loved okra. I had a broken ankle and he was doing the cooking.
He told me we were having okra for dinner. YUM. Well, he gave me a bowl of nuked okra. WTF? This is not how you cook okra! I took one bite just to try it and my way was better. I suppose I should have realized he was cooking it
differently, since there was no smell lingering in the air, making my mouth water!

My dad's cousin, the one we went to see in Oklahoma every summer, always had okra when we came. His wife Jeri made the best food ever. A few years back, we went back and they had something for dinner called Shut up and eat it. I asked what it was and got the story. Bob, the biggest heart in the world, would give you the shirt off his back. When he goes looking for a tractor or another farmer's item, he would have to call around to find out who borrowed it. Anyhow, one night Jeri had dinner ready and Bob was being annoyed by a man who just wouldn't leave. He finally invited him in to eat with his family. When this man asked what it was, Bob said, Just shut up and eat it! This delicious dish is made with okra, in cornmeal, with tomatoes, onions and zucchini. All fried up together. Jeri never wasted food. Always came up with dishes like this, and it rocked!

When we were young, we always made our own ice cream too. The old crank kind with block ice that had to be chipped with an ice pick. We would sit in the front yard and take turns cranking the handle on the ice cream maker. I was sitting on the grass one day and found a four leaf clover. I still have it. We got peaches off the tree in the backyard and added them to the ice cream and it was the best of summer.

I learned how to cook primarily from my father. Mother was at work and if my father could get me to cook, it would be great for him. I learned how to make, chicken fried steak, gravy of every kind, pot roast, round steak, fried chicken, burgers, chicken with homemade noodles, stew, cream dried beef w/ scrambled eggs, potatoes of every kind, the best bacon and eggs around, pots of beans. We would get a ham, eat it for a couple of days and then make pinto beans with the bone and leftover ham. Then after a couple of days of pintos and fried potatoes, we would make chili. I would crunch a bunch of crackers into my chili, as I still do to this day and my brother still laughs. I learned how to make biscuits too. Listen to this recipe. I would put self rising flour into a bowl, make a hole in the middle, pour in one can of milk and some water and mix. The use the biscuit cutter and put them into a Pyrex dish that had a whole cube of melted butter. I would put the biscuits in and then turn them over coating both sides. Best damn biscuits...We used bacon grease from the fridge to make the potatoes. When I married Daivd, the potatoes stopped except a few times a year. He taught me to eat pinto beans and rice.

The of course there was the ice tea we had every day of our lives. I made it after school every day and we had it every night. Never saved it, always fresh, with a lot of ice.

Yesterday, while cleaning out the garage, I found my mother's lasagna recipe. I thought it was the best ever. Pre jar sauces, and full of mushrooms of all things. I am going to make it soon, and see if is as good as I remember!

I also found autograph books, with names like Dottie Lamour, Jimmy Durante, Cecil B Demille, Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, Gary Cooper, Greta Garbo, William Benedict, Danny Kaye, Van Johnson, Mel Blanc and many others! My mother grew up in LA, after leaving Iowa at a young age. She and a friend used to go to different haunts of the stars and wait outside CBS and NBC studios. I also found all our childhood photos and her childhood photos and many other memorabilia.

Cleaning out the garage was worth it. Thinking of all the above comfort foods just came along with the memories.

18 comments:

Jaded said...

I gained 10 pound just reading that entry!!

My dad and I fished when I was a kid. I loved it. My grandfather took me crabbing alot. Haven't done either in many years. I learned to cook from my Italian grandmother. My stuffed shells are to-die-for according to anyone who's had them. I make great sauce too.

Those autographs are probably worth a great deal of money. Take great care of them. Get them appraised and insure them!!

Wanna come clean out my garage? It's not nearly as interesting, but probably just as cluttered. I'll cook for ya!

Nancy said...

That sounds like a great deal Jaded! I love good Italian food. Not a drop of Italian in me, or Mexican for that matter, and I make killer Mexican food!

A Minha Sombra said...

hi ***

Phoebe said...

Nancy, we clearly grew up in very different households. We never even heard of chicken fried steak on the mean street of New York City! Of course, you probably never had matzo brei or my father's infamous "scromlets", a cross between scrambled eggs and an omlette usually containing fried salami and carraway seeds.

Garrison Keillor has this to say about fishing: Never take a Baptist with you when you fish. He'll drink all your beer. But if you take two Baptists neither of them will touch your beer!

One of our local public television stations had a program on last night that was all about ice cream. I had to run to the freezer for a hit of Haagen-Dazs. Ice cream is my favorite food group.

Phoebe said...

Go here for a reminiscence from me on foodstuffs from my past.

Kate said...

Wow!!!! My mouth is watering! I will try those biscuts!

Also, any other recipes you care to post. And fishing tips will be welcome too!!!!

I love real food. Food that actually comes from actual plants and animals, not just the supermarket, you know? To have known good food like that is a blessing that many people never have.

A friend told me a story once, she was coming home from the farmer's market and putting food in the fridge. It was mostly fresh vegetables. A little boy who lived next door was visiting her and he looked at her like she was crazy. He exclaimed: "Why are you putting those PLANTS into the refridgerator?" He had never seen fresh vegetables in his life. The kid was like 8 years old! That is so sad.

EngLee said...

This post makes me hungry!

lightfeather said...

Oh those biscuits sound to die for! In fact, it all sounds so good. Comfort foods, made from memories and real stuff. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for the mental picture of all things good!

Anne said...

one word,
yum!

oh, and the hand-cranked ice cream recollection took me way back to the bakersfield days, at my aunt's place on lincoln ave.! we always made ice cream there-often with her blackberries on top. a tasty post, nancy.

for_the_lonely said...

This was so cool to read! As you know, I LOVE to cook..and I collect celebrity autographs too!!! Thanks for the walk down memory lane! :)

Love,
Sarah

Cindy said...

When I still lived in SD, Barbara F made us all a big Easter dinner. Because we were all away from home, we each got to pick a dish for the meal. Bill picked okra, and had a large pout because none of us liked it. I remember her little one saying that he was not going to even try the oprah. We all laughed, but Bill was fuming.
Thanks for sparking a memory!

Karen said...

fried okra !!!!!!
we love it !
one of my faves from down south.
it's part of the rich heritage of living up and down the east coast.
my family is from europe so we had italian, german and many other types of food growing up.
ok, great...now I am hungry !

Heidi said...

I hate to cook, I never heard of orka, but this entry is making me hungry and I'm craving some Ben & Jerrys Half baked this am..lol

Puffer said...

I love fishing too
my brother will be here
in a few weeks to fish
we are making it an
annual event
the pics on your blog
are beautiful
send me the lasagna!

A Minha Sombra said...

Hi... thanks for the mail... sorry but in the weekend i promess answer you!!! OK? bye *****

Miguel Pedro

Just Jan said...

You can cook for me anytime. This post sure made me hungry..(just no okra plz).

awesome find in the autograph book. I love old photos. It's nice to go down memory lane now and then.

BonnyT said...

I've never had okra. But, judgig by Jan's response, I'm not missing anything? ;)

Now lasagne? Bring it on!

My favourite comfort food? Two grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup. Yum.

Phoebe said...

Here's the link to my blog (again)Ph: Go here.