Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Costco..To Go or Not To Go

I have been trying to stay out of Costco for several months now. It has been called the three hundred dollar store. But I know better.

Once a month, I went to pick up prescriptions, which resulted in,
Large quantities of paper towels
Bathroom tissue (sounds better than toilet paper)
Paper plates, and bowls (for kiddy snacks)
Laundry soap, dishwasher detergent
Ziplock bags
Case of cola (Never for myself)
Fresh produce in bulk
Batteries in various sizes
An eight pack of tuna
And the occasional end row item, I had to have.

Hardly necessary...
Socks for the family (remember, I am out of laundry soap)
CD's, DVD's
Cute kid clothes
A clothing item for GOM, he would always ask, "What did you get me?"
Gel Pens
Fresh flowers
If the kids came along...Perhaps a game for gameboy, computer or game cube

Always necessary...
A book or two
Chicken jerkey treats for the dog ( a must never run out item)
Starbucks coffee beans (two and a half pounds)
Eggs (1.58 for a 18 eggs!)
Wine (various)
Scotch (single malt of course)
Fish (enough to feed 15)
Meat of some kind (For dinners)
Caesar salad with a turkey croissant for lunch

Then the frozen foods...
Stir fry veggies
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Aussie Pies (for the nights I didn't cook)
Shrimp

You get the gist. I came to the conclusion that if my prescriptions were dispensed from a local pharmacy, I could save a bundle. And it has worked.

However, there is one thing that Costco has (in mass quantities and cheap) that nobody else has that I have found...Chicken Jerky Treats for the dog. Last time I went, about three months ago, I bought three bags. I am out. Therefore, I begin the vicious cycle. I must go to Costco for these treats...Which means while I am there, I may as well get all the other stuff I need, since it will be three months before I go again....

Let's Review,
It is cheaper to stay away from Costco. Unless you really truly have to go there for something only they have.
Then buy several and get the hell out!
Don't use their pharmacy unless you can refrain from going nuts, and if it is in your neighborhood.
If you absolutely must drive fifteen miles for the cheapest gas...Then you should get out your calculator and figure how much gas it took to get there and see if it was worth it!
If you do go, don't take the kids! You end up spending even more.

11 comments:

BonnyT said...

I'm glad somebody else calls it the $300 dollar store...LMFAO! We always go in for bottled water and walk out with all that you listed, plus the occasional TV, DVD/VCR combo or printer....:)

Oh yeah, and always one of their hot dogs on the way out, especially if the samples for the day sucked....:)

Just Jan said...

thanks for visiting my blog nancy :)...always like seeing new ppl. I lmao at your list (with commentary)...you sound like a fun person.

I see you live in California. My sister is out there near Santa Cruz.

We don't have a costco here..(that I'm aware of anyway)...so I'm still stucj donating my funds to Walmart...(don't shoot me)...lol

Nancy said...

Bonn, my kids critique the food samples! I know people who go for lunch, only for the food samples.

Jan...Why would I not want you to go to Wallyworld? They have great deals too. And you aren't forced to buy huge quantities! I have been to one near us, and they have all in one shopping. Groceries too! Not such a bad idea.

Cindy said...

We don't have a Costco anywhere near us, but we do have a Sam's Club, so I feel your pain. I haven't renewed my membership for two years because, well, it just scares me.

Anonymous said...

My sister buys packs of paper products from A&P, she keeps it all in her garage and so there's no room for cars!

Heidi said...

I'm not a member of Costo thankgod!

I do enough damage in the $Dollar Stores..Only going in for 1 or 2 items..$30 later I'm busted! ..I refuse to spend 300$ in there..lol

majamom said...

My husband and I have learned after too may 2-300 dollard trips that we only go to buy my contacts - straight in and straight out. The only exception is holidays. I also have been thrilled 2 times in 5 yrs to buy lucky Jeans for 30.00 a pair.
I wish grocery stores delivered. I know even if they charged a fee i would still save money =)
Namaste,
MB

lightfeather said...

Oh this made me laugh! I never knew how much "stuff" I needed until I joined Costco!

I gave up my membership about a year ago when I found all of the canned goods that I had been storing like a food bank, were probably all bad. If not, I certainly didn't want to move everything into the new house.

Crazy for a sale! Crazy for things on the cheap. Probably just crazy!

That was a great laugh!

Jaded said...

That sounds like me and Target. We have a Sam's membership, but I don't get the card. I just let Mr. Jaded have that, because I know he won't let me go there on a whim. Although, he can do enough damage on his own there. But Target, forget it. It's definitely my 300 dollar store. I love that place.

author said...

We have Sams club here too, an off shoot of walmart.
Sitting in my to be paid bill
holder is a membership renewal for sams club. I am avoiding renewing because it is as you say a 300.00 store.
My shopping list of essentials is much like yours.
I have successfully stayed away for three months now. But the laundy soap, TP supply and dishwasing soap, battery stock is low.
I know I have to give in and go.

no, Do not take the kids.
great post !

Phoebe said...

My Costco list:

Seltzer
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Canned pineapple
Grapefruits (in season)
Cherries (in season)
Tums (for the calcium!)
Ink cartridges for the printer
Fancy Feast 48 can pack for the kitty
Ziplocs (for the store)
Soft Scrub
Yellow Tail Shiraz (if I shop in NJ--CT and NY don't sell alcohol)
Pepsi 36 can package
Parmesan
Books
Chlorine for the pool
Etc.