Friday, July 22, 2005

This and That

Well, they say fish and guests stink after three days...Maybe the fish do, but the guests are great.

And we pick up two more at the airport today. David's sister and son-in-law. One from NY and one from Houston, respectively.

I am convinced that Daniela (David's wonderful daughter) brought the monsoonal weather with her. We have been having a nice mellow summer, although, I knew it would not last. Their first full day here, we hit 95 with humidity to match. I know you have all been roasting this summer and have absolutely no sympathy for me, but we jumped 25 degrees! Then yesterday it was a mere and tolerable 85 with low humidity...Not good in fire country. And it looks like the monsoonal flow will be back for another five days or so! Crap! Might be time to get a room with a/c.

We have gotten to know the boys better. Daniela and her hubby have done a great job with them. They are very smart, very handsome and funny as can be. The youngest was watching a movie and Tivo was about to record, so I got out the DVD and asked him if he wanted me to start from the beginning or from where he left off. He says, "Ohhh, I don't know. I hate making decisions!" I took care of it and started it from the beginning. They have been playing pool too. Which is why we cleaned the garage! The boys decided to call their pockets, so there were no slop shots...The older one calls the younger one on his shot. You didn't call that. Oh, no, but I did want the ball to jump that other ball and go around and hit that ball into the pocket! At which time I interjected the rule, unless there is no doubt where the ball is going, you must call it. Then I left.

Zoe and David both read Harry Potter in a day. Daniela and the boys showed up with a Harry Potter book with four bookmarks in it. I believe Katharine finished it last night. At least she had less than a hundred pages left when they went off to the Angel game. Anaheim Angels, LA Anaheim Angels, whatever they are called these days! For the record, Anaheim is in Orange County, home of the Angels, Mighty Ducks and Disneyland...They seem to be doing okay without the name Los Angeles in their title. But, I digress. I believe with three Harry Potter books in the house, everybody will get thru it quickly.

I opted to stay home and catch up with a couple of friends via telephone. Then turned on the TV, fell asleep and have been up since 2:00. So, I got some cold water and my computer and came out here on the deck. It is quiet, cool and very peaceful.

Anyhow, the visit is going so well and we love having them all here. We just needed one more place for David's sister to sleep. She was going to get a hotel room, but David and Daniela got an air mattress instead. It inflates and deflates in about a minute. I expected him to get a twin size mattress, but he got a queen. I asked why he would do that and he said because he knew we had queen size sheets...Well, yes, and Katharine has twin bunk beds and we have a California King. Zoe inherited our queen bed. I guess I am lucky we didn't get a king size mattress. But the mattress will go on Katharine's floor and be used by Daniela and her husband. Phoebe will have a couch for a couple of nights. Then she can take one of Kate's bunks or the queen blow up mattress.

Even though we have a cat, I don't think he will go near the mattress. The dog on the other hand will look at it as lunch, so it is better on the floor in Katharine's room downstairs, instead of the living room upstairs. So, everybody will fit into our three bedroom home. Katharine is sleeping in Zoe's room. The boys are sleeping in Katharine's very very pepto pink room. The boys have not said a bad word about it though!

Before I headed to bed, I emptied the newer ice into a bowl and flipped the ice maker over in the sink and ran hot water on it to get out all the old clumped together ice. We needed new ice for these hot days. I took part of the ice sculpture out to the dog and another part to the cat, who sleeps in my bathroom sink. Both animals seemed happy to have ice to lick and crunch. The ice container is in the door of the freezer and lifts out easily.

And one more thing before I go...What the hell happened to CNN's Headline News? I guess it has been a while since I had seen it. Have they turned it into a chatfest? WTF? I liked getting a quick infusion of news. Now we get two people who sit and act like they are our friends and sitting in our living rooms chatting with us? I don't like it. I don't like the format, the anchors, if that is what they are still called, nothing about it. I will never go back to watch it again. When I first turned it on, a guy was giving tips on how to add mousse to your hair...Never in the hand he says. Shake and put it straight onto the head in three of four places and then dry....Who knew? And frankly, I could have gotten that information for my queer eye buds!

8 comments:

Jaded said...

Queer Eye...I love Jai because he's just the cutest thing ever. And I keep telling Mr. Jaded that if could just be nice to Thom for a little while, maybe we could get him to decorate our house. You know, take one for the team. He is never amused. Men.

I'm glad that the visit is going so well. Sounds like you're all gonna have a ton of fun! I have no real sympathy about the heat. It's been over 90 all week here, and the humidity runs in the 90+% area too. It's always humid at the Jersey shore. Luckily, I have central air, so I can keep it as cold as I want it!

Cindy said...

Anthony finished Harry Potter as well. He guessed weeks ago what the outcome would be. I am still on book two. My sister will be coming to pick it up tonight after work. And to pacify Sue, she has offered her a book to read to hold her over until she's done with Harry!
I'm glad that your visiting is going well.
You know it's been hot as hell here too, but I do feel for you.
I feel sorry about the people that are dying in the Arizona area. It's horrible.

Heidi said...

Nancy, reading your blog the last few days I just have to say one thing...Your a great host ...very organized.. ^5 2 U :)

Anonymous said...

I watch cnn and I know what you mean.

Just Jan said...

wow...all those people in one house. I'd go a bit crazy. YOu seem to be loving it. It's great having family around that you don't get to be around often. I just hope the house doesn't seem empty to you when they all have to leave.

I don't watch cnn anymore either..I couldn't agree more.

the bright one said...

I read it in a day, while cleaning the garage, then helping Katharine clean her room. A gloomy ending if you ask me.

lightfeather said...

I haven't watched CNN since I went back to work. Guess I am glad I missed the conversion. Hey, it sounds like the company thing suits you really well. I love how you are loving them!

BonnyT said...

I always picture Headline News as the next cubicle over from the CNN people..same company, right?

Plus, they repeat the same brutal convo's over and over throughout the entire day....