Friday, July 08, 2005

The Garage

My daughter and I have been doing some spring cleaning. Yes, I am aware it is summer. All in good time. I get around to most things eventually. I say most because there are some things I procrastinate about endlessly. Like cleaning out the garage. UGH. What a job. I just found a box with Christmas presents in it, for my brother's family...I was going to mail them. They only live 15 miles from here and still, the presents sit in my garage. I suppose that means I have already begun this year's shopping....

When I was a kid, we had an enormous garage. I have a vague recollection of writing this before. Oh well, it could be just that I have told this story most of my life! My father collected anything and everything. Working or not. He could fix ANYTHING. There were two pianos, a very cool old jukebox, a soda pop machine, unimaginable quantities of tools, machinery, musical instruments, lumber, bicycle parts, auto parts, toasters, whatever, it was in that garage.

Every summer, my brothers and I would have to clean the garage. The most dreaded chore of my childhood. We hated it. It literally took us two weeks. My father had a huge bin for all the screws, nails, nuts and bolts, etc. We had to sort them and it was tedious as hell. The garage stayed clean for a while, then it would get destroyed again and next summer, there we were again.

His version was much different than ours though. He would say if we didn't complain about it so much, we could have had it done sooner and it never took two weeks, it was a couple of days. Well, our view was that it wasn't our crap we were cleaning and sorting, not to mention, WE didn't mess it up!

Maybe that is why I hate cleaning my own garage so much...Just a thought.

5 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

We--all of us--just have too much stuff.

Henry Thoreau, whom I think overrated, did say, "We don't ride on the railroad, it rides on us."

In oher words, we have too damn much stuff. (Books are my vice).

"Better fewer, but better."

Cindy said...

My dad had our garage categorized. He could walk into that garage and know if someone had used a hammer or moved a screw driver.
Now that I think about it, he also had the oil spots in the driveway memorized. He always knew if a different car had been in the driveway.

Jaded said...

My beautiful, formerly pristine two car garage is packed with stuff. It's a catch-all. Our cars don't fit in it. We will get around to it when it's not so hot outside, I suppose. I mostly don't care though. It is what it is, and I don't make excuses for it. Better there than in the house, I say.

I also have a head start on Christmas this year. Already wrapped and everything. They'll never know which Christmas I actually intended to give them. See? Makes me feel better already!

Puffer said...

I just moved an realized I have way too much stuff
oh well
but I get attached to it all.
Like my E.T. doll that still sits with huge presence in
my life
it's hard to get rid of stuff

BonnyT said...

You are a brave, brave soul, Nance.

I leave that to Hub...

Hey...wait...maybe that's why it never gets done...