Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Chirping Won't Go Away

It is one in the morning and there is something chirping in the house. I thought it was a cricket. It is not. I am glad I was not being recorded as I went from area to area listening to this damn chirp to find out where it is coming from. I would move in the direction of the sound and listen, move again, listen, move again, listen and what the hell, it sounds like it is coming from across the room again! I give up.

I am outside on the deck, it is dark, foggy, cold, quiet and I can still hear the chirping. It sounds like a smoke detector needs a new battery. But it is not a smoke detector. It is not the copier, not the phones, not the microwave, not the dishwashers, it is not the computers, it is not the cell phones or camera batteries that are plugged in. It is not the washer or dryer....I think somebody is trying to gaslight me and it is placed it some where out of reach to annoy me. I can hear it out here. Goes off about every fifteen seconds. How frustrating.

I am not giving up though. I am going to find out what is making that sound and stomp it into the ground. Or maybe replace a battery. All I know at this point is that I cannot go back to sleep until I find it, if even then. But, I will keep you updated as I am sure you are all waiting on the edge of your seats wondering what it is! LOL

UPDATE.....I found it, finally. It was an old battery operated weather station inside a cabinet under a bunch of stuff. I did not stomp it into the ground. I did remove the batteries though. Silence is golden. I am going back to sleep.

8 comments:

Karen said...

that was me chirping...
damn baked beans !

author said...

LOL Karen....
so did you find out what it was ??
I am waiting...so there.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Gotcha!

Anne said...

ah, technology. you gotta love it...? glad you solved the mystery.

Cindy said...

Too funny! My neighbors had a battery that needed replaced in their smoke detector.......that thing went off for about a month and a half. They lived two houses away from me and it drove me nuts. I'll never know how they lived in the house with this thing going constantly!

Phoebe said...

When Aunt Sophie was 92, she couldn't hear the smoke detector chirp. I was always grabbing batteries to fix the darn thing, but it didn't bother her. Maybe something to be said for a mild amount of hearing loss!

Grumpy Old Man said...

Phoebe, did you say something?

Just Jan said...

lol.Karen....wasn't expecting to see that..lol

That would drive me nuts if I was trying to sleep and kept hearing a chirping...I would have been all over the house as well searching just like you..lol..glad you found it.