Friday, August 19, 2005

Goodbye to the Fishers, Hello to 24 Hour Pubs

Leave it to NPR for giving me ideas for today's post.

I have watched every episode, of each season of Six Feet Under and have loved every quirky show. I had not watched this seasons shows. I had ten episodes on Tivo and I heard somebody died. I knew who. I avoided reading anything about who died. I was asked who I thought had died and I said, "Nate." Mainly because he has been about death since he came back to the funeral home.

I spent this past week catching up just in time for the final seventy-five minute episode this Sunday. I am sad to see it leave. But, I agree, it is time. This past season has been horribly sad. Every single show was sad. David going bonkers since he was taken captive. Claire being back with Billy and finally dumping his off his meds ass. Although it was funny to see her try to fit into the corporate world, but also sad. I loved Bettina and Sarah and their get togethers with Ruth. Kathy Bates and Patricia Clarkson added much to this show.

Dealing with George's breakdown was depressing and watching Ruth fall into the bowels of hell was no fun at all. Watching her be so mean to Claire, yelling at David and finally losing Nate, was heartbreaking. Sweet naive Ruth. Now has Maya to look out for. I love that Nate told her he would want nobody else taking care of his child.

Brenda! OMG. What had she turned into? She has dreams about her brother, comes from a seriously fucked up family. Who can blame her for being the way she is? She never really found herself. Maybe motherhood, if that is how the final show goes, will turn her into a productive character.

Final note. The cast of this show could not be any better. The writing was wacky and wonderful. I will stop now, because I know not everybody has seen it, nor would everybody like it. It is a bit twisted, but if you can handle that, rent the first seasons. Get to know the Fisher Family and those in their lives.


Now the 24 hour pubs...Have you heard of this? This is London's solution to binge drinking. To keep the pubs open 24 hours, they will prevent people drinking quickly before the pubs close and help lessen the problems with everybody leaving at one time and apparently putting a hardship on the taxi service. I am not kidding!

I cannot recall every detail of the story, but to keep a pub open 24 hours seems rather ludicrous to me. Of course not everybody agrees on this solution, but it will take effect very soon. Not all pubs, just some. Which makes me wonder, why some and not others??? Hmmm. To hear more, go to HERE to hear the story. It was on Morning Edition this morning. Type in 24 hour pub into the search field to find it.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow..a 24 hr pub neevr heard of that..Here in Montreal bars /clubs etc stay open till 3am.

I've never watched 6 feet under..Heard alot about it..Maybe when I a dvd player.. < yes probably the only one without>...I'll catch up on that and other shows.

BonnyT said...

Buncha crazy limeys....

;)

Grumpy Old Man said...

Never could get into "Six Feet Under."

But then we didn't have a TV until I was 10 or 11 (it had a fisheye lens filed with glycerin to magnify the pictture), so I wasn't imprinted in it as a kid. Can take it or leave it.

As for sex, drugs, and alcohol, I'm with the Duchess, who said "I don't care what people do, actually, so long as they don't frighten the horses."

A Flowered Purse said...

I have never seen that show but have heard lots about it. Ill have to check out a season on DVD!
Have a great weekend
Love
Dianna

Phoebe said...

The pubs in England started closing at 11 PM during the first world war. They used to close at other times with the idea that munitions workers be drunk at work. Like rent control in New York, these laws have lasted way too long past the era when they were passed and the reasons for them no longer exist. I'm not sure that keeping pubs open 24 hours a day will solve the binge drinking problem (although England takes a much dimmer view of DWI than we do), but it wouldn't hurt at all if they loosened up the licensing hours.

BTW, you can drink later at private clubs and hotels where you are a guest. And, of course, one can always sip from the old hip flask or the bottle in one's home bar whenever the spirit (pun?) moves.

for_the_lonely said...

I am left out of the loop on this one, girl...I have never seen the show :(

24 hr pub..wow...a few years ago, I would've been in heaven! LOL

Love you,
Sarah

Cindy said...

I'm only up to season 2 of six feet under. I like the show, trying to find season 3 reasonably priced on ebay.

24 hour pubs, hmmmmm, just what we need........24 hour drunks!

TheMommason said...

I don't have Showtime or even digital cable since the cable company has not been able in 3 years to get rid of my 1970s snowy reception with or without digital and I'm not paying more than my electric to watch TV... At least I have you guys to give me word pictures of the shows :-)

24 hour pubs ... and stopping binge drinking was the reason? I thought that was a sport in the UK.

And when lil bit is ready for the big or little screen you are such a great Mom I know you will have her feet firmly on the ground no matter what! Huggers!