Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Here's the Story

I have three brothers and one cuzbro. Cousin, like a brother. Each and everyone different in many ways.

My oldest brother is actually my half brother. He has ten years on me. He lives in Kansas and is a graphic designer who wants to begin writing a screenplay. He if funny, very smart and has a head of hair that proves that the balding gene comes from the mother's side!

He is married to a school teacher about to retire soon, a lovely lady. She reminds me of Laura Bush is her mannerisms and lady like ways. No matter what she wears, she looks great and almost always wears a scarf. She accessorizes well. She is funny and sweet and she and my brother have been married for about thirty years. They have one son, who is smart, funny and quite the musician, which he is still studying in college.

My next oldest brother is almost five years older than I. He is a big sweetheart. Everybody loves him. He is nice. He loves kids. He is very active in his church as is his wife and her parents. Their three kids were raised in the church and are truly great kids. They have been married for more than twenty years. They have a terrific family.

My brother works in the electronics business. His wife a school teacher at a Christian school for years, left last year to home school my nephew. They felt he was on the small side and not ready to turn him loose into the public school system. When some of the other parents from her school found out she was home schooling, many asked if she would home school their children as well. She agreed, she opened her own little school with about fifteen students. She taught seventh grade last year
and this year she will teach eighth, because my nephew is going into eighth. My sister in law is also a sweetheart.

My youngest brother and I have always been close being only sixteen months apart. I love him dearly, but he has turned into somebody I don't know anymore. He used to be fun. He is not fun anymore. He is grumpy. He is only forty-four and he seems so old sometimes. He has a thirteen year old son. He just got the boot from a four year relationship to a woman we all loved. She was right to do it...I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say, he deserved the boot and more.

Within a week of getting a place near his ex and his son, he was dating the ex again. I believe this is the fourth time they have gotten back together. My mother worked at the bank and got him a job as a bank teller when he was eighteen. His ex, was his boss. They have been together on and off since then. Anyhow, he didn't want to tell me he was seeing her again. We played the game of me asking if he was seeing someone, was she from work? Was she from the pool? Then he fessed up. I just sighed. I said, well hope you are happy. He paid to get out of his newly leased apartment, after he told me how much he liked living on his own and how happy he was.

Next thing I hear thru my Cuzbro, was that he and his ex are looking for a house in a better area for my nephew to go to school. Another thing he didn't tell me. When we finally did discuss it, I told him I hoped it was big enough to have a room for him, for when she sends his ass to the couch....Just a guess after all the years of how their relationship goes. Instead of getting on my high horse, I told him I wished them the best of luck. Because they will be needing it. The reasons they broke up have not gone away. If anything, they have gotten worse. And frankly, they have treated each other so poorly in the past, it concerns me, for my nephew's sake. He didn't even get a chance to mourn my brother's ex girlfriend of four years, who was terrific and loving to my nephew, and he adored her. Between that and the last three times he left or got booted from my nephew's mother's life, I really hope it works this time!

I have this thing where I make friends with his ex girlfriends and stay that way. One of my very best friends in the world, was one of them. I speak or at least email with her several times a day. Since my brother got divorced, she has come to all the family fun events, as my friend, nothing to do with my brother. They were done nearly ten years ago and she would never want him back. When my brother got back with is ex, "MY" friend would be banished from the fun events for sake of not pissing off the ex-wife. Well, things have changed this time.

Saturday is my Cuzbro's birthday party at his and my Cuzsis's home. She is like the sister I never had. She says the same and she has sisters! Anyhow, Cuzsis invited our friend as we all have a blast together. Cuzbro invited my youngest brother. My youngest brother called me the other day and told me he would like to see me at some point. I said, "Are you going to Cuzbro's birthday party?" My brother said, yes he is and that he is bringing his ex, and to be prepared....I didn't even ask what that meant. Frankly, because, I really don't care.

So, the ex is going to come face to face with our friend and her nemesis. We haven't told my brother she will be there. She has been more like family then the ex ever has. So we are going to let things play out. My other brother would like to bring the last girlfriend, who by the way, never had a problem with coming to events at my house with "MY" friend here. She got to know her and like her. We never had to banish her because my brother was in a new relationship. She just had to get used to her being here and a part of our parties.

There is a bit of history between "MY" friend and the ex. They lived across the driveway when my brother was married to his ex and "My" friend was married to her ex. When my brother broke up with his ex, he started dating "MY" friend, who was then divorced. At the time, I didn't even know her, but then we became fast and great friends. Anyhow, the ex would see my brother going into "MY" friend's condo, and lose it. She would move his car, rifle thru his things in the car, and other things as well. I am sure it was painful for her to watch her soon to be ex, with another woman, especially when their bedrooms were across from one another. But, she kicked him out and filed for divorce before he began dating the neighbor.

All of that was ten years ago. Shouldn't the ex have let go of her grudge by now? Does the whole family have to change our ways to accommodate the ex, yet again? Our answer is a resounding, NO....So, this Saturday, should be an interesting birthday for my Cuzbro and quite a sight for the rest of us. "MY" friend has offered not to attend, but we all agreed, she was invited and we want HER there....

So, what do you think about this. Are we being mean and bitchy? Or do you think it is time for the ex to get with the program?

9 comments:

Cindy said...

It's time to get with the program.

Heidi said...

Where's Dr. Phil when u need him?..lol

Get with the program I agree.

Goodluck this weekend..And please give us an update.

biscuit said...

nope.. I don't think you are mean or bitchy at all..
they are all adults and it's time they started acting like it..
If they can't be in the same room together then the EX should just stay the hell home.
why should everyone else suffer cause she is acting like an ass..
(or a 12 year old.. your choice) have fun at the pahty! (new england accent there)
peace
biscuit

Phoebe said...

My friend Emily met and began dating Walter (now her husband) four years after Walter's divorce. When one of Walter's daughters was graduating from college, the ex didn't want to come to her own daughter's graduation because That Woman (Emily) would be there. Em didn't break up the marriage. But the ex hadn't gotten on with her life. Now, some 15 or more years later she's finally made her peace. So is your bro's ex unreasonable? Maybe, but she's not unusual.

zbjernak said...

sometime...relationship is just so complicated and i dont think any third party will understand what is happening....

but i would say...each and everyone is no longer some teenangers...and they add up their age..for god's sake is nearly 200 or more than that...

so i guess they should act as wht their age are....

dont just ignore YOUR friend because of some "complicated" problem ur bro is having.... i would say... you are right.....

anyhow...i wouldnt able to understand the dilemma u r facing...for i have no brothers or sisters...just cousins...

so actually i secretly wish too that i could face the same problem like yours.... worrying this and that about my brothers, Sis-in-law, sisters or etc.

Karen said...

it is time to get with the program for sure !

Grumpy Old Man said...

The whole story comes down to the 3 M's--mood disorders, money, and make-up sex.

And maybe (one hopes) the kid.

Just because they're back together this week doesn't mean we should treat the friend any differently.

All your blog-fans will be "flies on the wall"!

Jan said...

For sure get with the program.
Does not sound like you are mean or bitchy to me.
Stand your ground and force your brother to be a man.

Jaded said...

I agree with everyone else... get with the program! Do not allow anyone to manipulate you to accommodate their childish behavior. I might feel differently if the ex wasn't an ex and had been a member of the family for many years... then inviting someone you know she dislikes might be inappropriate. But that's not the case. Let the ex act like an adult for a change.