Friday, August 26, 2005

Freaky Animal Happenings

chupacabra

I just heard about this creature yesterday...While I was trying to pronounce it, Katharine says, "Oh, a chupacabra!" She knew all about this creature. An animal that is known for sucking the blood out of goats. Why goats you ask? How would I know!

A Texas farmer trapped this crude animal and it is alive and being sent for testing. The chupacabra is a cross between a rat, hairless dog and a kangaroo! Don't want to offend, but this is one ugly animal! Apparently legendary as well...


Smoking Chimp

This is a 26 year old chimpanzee in a zoo in northwest China. She has been smoking for 15 years. She is smoking even more these days, since the loss of her mate.

She got hooked on smoking by picking up smokes that tourists dropped. Must have been lit ones, cause I cannot imagine her asking for a light! "Hey you, yes you, may I have a light for my cigarette?" Nah....

Her keepers are worried about her health and are trying to give her milk instead of cigarettes. Well, I am here to tell you, if this works, pass it on to the rest of the world!

In an South African zoo, they apparently have the same problem. Their Charlie smokes and started by people tossing him lighted cigarettes and watched him puff away.

The zoo wants him to go cold turkey and call him a naughty school boy, who hides his cigarettes while workers are around!


Shark in lake

This is one of two Atlantic sharp nose sharks caught in a lake in San Antonio in as many days. They are not harmful to humans, but could you imagine hooking one of these bad boys? The shark in the photo measured 37 inches. These sharks belong in salt water, obviously...Nobody knows how they got in the lake...See the next story and we will get an idea of how this can happen!


Reggie the gator

This is Reggie the gator. Released into a lake a couple of months ago. This lake is in LA County! A gator for crying out loud!
Could you imagine fishing or swimming and coming upon a gator, where gators are not supposed to exist? Holy Crappola!

Apparently Reggie's owners released him because he got too big for their mini illegal menagerie. Although they loved him, they could no longer keep him (isn't that sad?) and being illegal and all, they dumped their beloved gator in a lake.

The police found the owners and one is a former copper himself! They found desert tortoises and tortoise eggs, a rattlesnake, a scorpion, three other alligators, two or three piranha and to top it off, six marijuana plants with would have yielded ten pounds of pot...Obviously, they were into the marijuana for medical use program!

Reggie has been illusive to all the gator wranglers LA County has brought in. First being tossed jelly donuts and tortillas. Next thing he knows, he is being surrounded by humans with stink bait balls, trying to trap him. Now, he is in hiding.

The funniest thing was a Louisiana wrangler who said, "I used my sexiest call too!" And then he made the sound...I cracked up. He was so cute! I can only imagine how he calls his wife!

9 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I thought that the "Chupacabra" was an evil entity from Mexican folklore. I didn't know it was a real animal. Then again, my information comes from an episode of "Scooby-Doo".


~Deborah

Katharine said...

It was from Mexican folklore. This animal is what they believe the folklore originated from.

Cindy said...

Thanks for the national geographic lesson of the day!

Grumpy Old Man said...

I like "goatsucker."

It's sort of pithy.

An unknown animal that size? In Texas? I sort of doubt it. It would almost be like the Sasquatch.

for_the_lonely said...

Ack Ack Ack!!! A Chupacabra!!! I need to go wash my eyes out with holy water now!!! Seriously! LOL

Yes, it is Mexican folklore, and it is an evil entity. Very evil. I am sure that you can find stories about this creature and the legends behind it, but for the most part, it is an evil habit that reaks havoc on anyone that sees it!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! Also, a chupacabra is also known as a HUGE bird like animal..almost like an owl,but bigger, that has a human-like face..they are told to sit in trees and " watch " people..hence the folklore...talk about giving me the heebie-jeebies! AAAHHHH!!

Love you,
Sarah

Karen said...

creeeeeepy...........

I am also drinking a glass of milk and so far I haven't stopped smoking, damn !
LOL :)

hugs,
Karen

A Flowered Purse said...

This was such a good and interesting post, i never knew this stuff! so awesome! and LOL on the alligator couple!
Have a great weekend
Love
dianna

Jan said...

Milk could never stop me from smoking...that is unless just looking at it works. I never drink that ugly white stuff....yuck

Phoebe said...

Wow! Jan and I are totally in sync about milk. Yucch. Fortunately I don't smoke so I don't have to try the milk cure.

There are birds called "goatsuckers". Don't look anything like this critter.

In the bad old days when zoos were less thoughtful than they are today, the chimp in the Central Park Zoo used to smoke cigars. They'd never allow this sort of bad health habit today. Geez, prisoners being denied their smokes! What's the world coming to?