Friday, August 05, 2005

Pieces of Me

Thanks to Annie Thomas Burke for the format....

I don't take criticism well.

I am terrified of public speaking and even in
front of four people I don't know.

I prefer to be at the party when people arrive.
I am anxious upon entering an ongoing event or party.
Even a family or friend's party.

When I was a bartender, I was fine when people came in and filled
my bar. I was not fine when I took over a shift with a full bar.

I am more comfortable behind a telephone or computer screen.
I don't like being judged by my appearance.

I am blessed with really great friends.
Once a friend, a friend for life.
I keep secrets well.

Once burned, I never forget.
I am forgiving though.

I marvel at nature. Especially trees.
I love fishing, better than most things.

I am a weather nerd.

I love photography.

I cannot draw worth beans.

I love to write and tell stories.

I am funny.
I am moody.

I love country music. I love 70's music.
I don't play an instrument, which makes me sad.
I love to sing, in my own key!

I listen to NPR daily. I love the puzzler on Sunday mornings.

I have very curly hair. I usually let it do
what it does best and rarely dry it straight.
I would have killed for a flat iron in high school.

In high school I perspired horribly. I actually chose
my clothes by what wouldn't show the wetness.
I found Mitchum about twenty and have never had that problem since.

I like single malt scotch. I like Tahiti punch.

I hate people who are racist or intolerant.

I love meeting people from other countries.

Caller ID is an awesome invention. So is
the Do Not Call list.

I love playing detective and do it well.

I like to figure out things myself.

I am pretty insightful to others and do not
always take my own advice. Which I should.

My friends call me for advice. I love that.
I call for advice too.

I can do a mean rant or bitch like nobody's
business. Then I feel better.

I like things done right. I have a problem
with ignorance or indifference.

I am addicted to Tivo. I watch soaps in twenty
minutes or less. I have been watching All My
Children since it began. I was ten. It was black
and white and a half hour long.

I have two and a half brothers. No sisters. I consider
my cousin Ronnie my brother. He coined the cuzbro
phrase. His wife Pam is the sister I never had.

My father was born in Oklahoma. Mother in Iowa.
Both came to California young.
I have lived in California my whole life.

I love rain. We don't get enough, except for
too much last year, but not by my standards.

I have two daughters. They both outwit me in math.
And many other things.

I wear slippers on my feet always when at home.
We have wood floors and I hate crumbs! LOL

I am called Nancy and Nance. I have had several
nicknames over the years and none began with NAN.

My husband is the smartest person I know. He can
speak many languages. And among the kindest men
I have ever known. Did I mention funny too?

We have been married fifteen years.

I turned forty-five last October eighth.

I got the mechanical gene from my father.
I am the fix it person in our family. I can
wire things that most people have nightmares
about. My clocks never blink at 12:00!

I am a water maniac. Have been since being
pregnant at 15. I love seltzer too. No sodium
no nothing. I have two seltzer bottles and buy
co2 cartridges from Zabar's in NY. Cheaper than
most places. Even with shipping.

I rarely drink cola or other beverages. But,
I love iced tea. All my life, yum. No sugar.

I drink coffee every morning. Breakfast rarely.
Bad. I cannot eat or coffee is over!

I take prilosec daily. Have had the curse upon
my father's side since I was kid. One of my kids
is already cursed as well. Only twelve.

I am a great card player. I have been playing since
I was a kid and really have a head for cards and chess
which I abhor. Chess and scrabble have bad memories
from a past relationship.

I am very loving. I care too much sometimes. But, I am not
obsessively affectionate. I give affection and basically
had to learn how to do so. Not when it comes to my family
though, that is very natural.

I have to be in the right mood to tell people I love them.
Not family, but others. It is still uncomfortable to me. But,
when I say it, I mean it with all my heart. Sometimes, I read
that I told somebody I loved them or even signed loved
in a comment. I feel like they may think yuck or something.
But, when it is written by me, it is time felt. And it will
not change after that...Does that make sense? I have made the
connection and felt I could use the word and mean it....

I love my family, my frikends and my life. I am very blessed.

In other words, I don't throw out the word "love" lightly.

But, I do love so many of my blogging friends. I don't know you
personally, but when I feel the urge to tell you, I love you, I
mean it. And I do get to know you all, and I appreciate you letting
me into you world.

And I am humbled that you want to be a part of mine.

9 comments:

Anne said...

awesomely great, nancy.
you are complex and not typical-seeming in the least.

BonnyT said...

I enjoyed reading this, Nance..

Karen said...

I loved getting to know you through this. Isn't it amazing that we all are getting to know each other better than some people we know in our daily lives? this is a great medium and I am so happy we can do this.
hugs,
Karen

Jaded said...

I loved this. Thanks so much for sharing all this stuff!!

Heidi said...

Thanx for sharing Nancy...Have a great weekend. :)

Ps...how's the insomnia?

Grumpy Old Man said...

Thanks for telling such nice lies about me.

author said...

oh I love these and never expected it to become what it is.
We have a lot in common !

I hate crumbs on my feet too.
My ex husbands birthday is october 8th.. I'm so sorry LOL

lightfeather said...

I have really enjoyed getting to know you better. Many things in common, right down to the very basics! Water and lots of it! No soda. Tea, please!!!

And the love, well...please know, I love you. I am so blessed for your loving support. I feel it. It helps.

for_the_lonely said...

Thanks for letting me get to know you better! And guess what? I love you ;)

Sarah